First off, this bucket list (or Life List) is a work in progress. I imagine it probably always will be, but hey…Rome weren’t built in a day. It contains things that I always wanted to do and things I’ve already done, I included stuff I’ve already achieved for a reason: I think it’s pretty important to remind yourself sometimes just how far you’ve come already rather than just staring at a mountain of to-do’s. Items completed are RED as COMPLETED.
“It’s better to regret something you did than to regret something you didn’t do.”
Back in January, 2012 I met Phil Keoghan, of the Amazing Race and No Opportunity Wasted, while he was visiting Bermuda. Phil gave both of my boys a book called NOW – No Opportunity Wasted. Phil’s bucket list is called his “List for Life”…it was pretty inspiring. I hope my boys have a list of things they wish to do and/or accomplish..and tick the items off their list, one by one…as they grow and find themselves.
A. The Grand Facilitators
- Live in a different Country COMPLETED (Bermuda: 2007 – present)
- Live on an island COMPLETED (Bermuda: 2007 – present)
- Build a successful blog/FB page (The Plan B Project, Tourist Whisperer and soon SpencerIsland Trading – Blog & Facebook)
- Build followers on Instagram (currently at 615 for SpencerIsland, 178 for The Plan B Project, 232 for BermudaRelay and 62 for the Tourist Whisperer – as of Nov 2017) To be honest, this is not really a bucket list item anymore.
- See both of my boys get Married (my wife and father sitting next to me) and hold both of their children (my grandchildren)
- Build SpencerIsland/Plan [b] into something BIG! November 2015, rebranded Plan [b] to become a “For-Purpose organization spreading social good to individuals, organizations and non profits around the globe. – Official re-launch, January 2016 with big changes coming in 2018!
- Receive duel citizenship (COMPLETED – Became Naturalized as a British Overseas Territories Citizen on 4 June 2015 and received Bermudian Status on 13 June 2015)
- On my 50th Birthday (19 April 2018) be in the best shape of my life. (both physically and mentally) THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ONE.
B. Share the Wealth
- Donate $ month to a worthy cause – COMPLETED! As of the end of November 2014, we are working with Feed My Lambs Ministry in Haiti and are sponsoring a little Winder! Can’t wait to meet him.
- Donate my time to make a difference COMPLETED (Building a legacy with Relay For Life of Bermuda – May 2014). Info can be shared at www.BermudaRelay.com. 30-31 May 14 – the first Relay For Life event occured in Bermuda. Since that event, we have raised over $2,300,000 to build a new Radiation Centre here in Bermuda (see article: http://planblimited.com/radiationfacility/) So far, the event continues to be a huge success. Visit a few articles regarding the event, CLICK HERE. (See B5 below added on 5 April 2015) – Oct 2017 became a LIVE A GREAT STORY Ambassador.
- Donate $ to someone that will make a big difference. COMPLETED KIVA – currently 12 loans made. Also, see B1 above! – Became a Co-Founder for the Purpose Hotel
- Item 1 above, or donate 10% of my salary
- Create a Charity…give back to the [b] degree. Become a B-anthropist
C. Adventures, Experiences and Stuff
- Start writing my bucket list – ONGOING (here it is…work in progress)
- Ride in a Helicopter COMPLETED (3 times to date: Flew a Robinson Helicopters w S. Aman’s instructor. Gold Coast Australia 1996. Vancouver – Whistler 200ish)
- Take a cruise with Becky and Boys COMPLETED (Aug 2013, Disney Magic – Mediterranean. Another to follow)
- Travel by Private Jet COMPLETED (Gulfstream III – Long Beach, California to Colorado to Wyoming to Nevada back to California – One Amazing week.)
- Camp on a deserted Tropical Island and see the sunrise
- Do the above again!
- Speak at a Ted and/or Ted X event
- Drink a Black & Tan in England (This may not happen. I asked for one…and almost got thrown out of the bar. There must be some history here..)
- Collect 100,000 air miles (in the air) in one year
- Road trip….coast to coast in the USA
- Learn to Scuba Dive COMPLETED (Advance PADI Certification – have dived Catalina Island CA, Hawaii, Bermuda, Yucatan Peninsula-Cancun & Cozumel and Puerto Rico…more placed to follow)
- Climb a mountain..(a BIG mountain). Any will do
- Swim with Dolphins COMPLETED (Becky and I swam with them in Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico +/- 2001)
- Spend time backstage at a concert (I did hang “on” stage with Mishka & Heather Nova…see video I took HERE)
- See the sunrise every day for one week COMPLETED (Since moving to Oxford, Mangrove Bay, I see this everyday now….)
- Collect sand from around the world COMPLETED and ONGOING (Currently; Black Beach Hawaii, Bermuda, Cape Cod, 2013 – Turks & Caicos Islands…2013 – Santa Margherita, Italy, 2013 – Barcelona, Spain)
- Create my own drink and/or dish, and get it on the menu at a bar or restaurant
- Visit Disney World COMPLETED (surprise trip in April 2011 with Tommy & Bryan – from Bermuda to Orlando)
- Accept people for who they are (this one is ongoing)
- Fly a plane COMPLETED (with Dave Williams – California to Nevada)
- Watch my boys (without them knowing) playing together…nicely! COMPLETED and ONGOING (This continues to be on my list…even though I have seen this…on only a “few” occasions…)
- Spend time in Bermuda with my favorite cousin Cari and her boys COMPLETED (Aug 2014! Had a GREAT week with Cari, and family…)
- Spend time in Bermuda with my sister Katie and her family
- Hot Air Balloon
- Tattoo (hmmm I have some ideas!)
- Go to a Major racing event with my Dad and boys together – but not in California
- Get plastered with locals in another country (Didn’t get plastered….but had a few drinks in London with the Jupp family!)
- Meet Sir Richard Branson
- Meet Phil Keoghan COMPLETED (met in Bermuda in January 2012 and he invited Becky, the boys and I to a private screening of his movie “The Ride”)
- Meet Jimmy Buffett
- Meet Spencer Antle, Creative Director of the Island Company (2014)
- Live walking distance to the beach COMPLETED (Bermuda: 2007 – present + Dec 2013 – we now have 2 private beaches)
- Fly in a seaplane in the Caribbean
- Get paid to travel
- Be debt free
- Meet the Saarloos Family. (First met in Los Olivos, April 2017….and then spent time in Oahu, Hawaii….for a week during an amazing wedding!)
- Raise my boys to be caring, love to cook, sew, live on their own and give back (work in progress)
- Obtain dual citizenship (see A7 above)
- Enjoy the best Bloody Mary in the world (I WILL LEAVE THIS OPEN BUT: Jan 2014, Florence, Italy…at Hemmingway’s…believe it or not. Blended Tomatoes, ask Kathy Perry)
- Stand on the Equator (Galapagos? Equador?)
- Take a trip where I will be required to carry 5 different types of currency. (Jan 2014, U.S. Dollar, Bermudian Dollar, British Pound & Euro. Close…but still cannot tick off the list!)
- Take my boys to the Desert…and go Motorcycle/Quad riding. Like I did as a kid.
- Do a retreat with Becky. Self improvement.
- Build some amazing friendships with individuals around the world. (Ongoing….daily)
- Learn an instrument. (Currently teaching myself the ukelele)
D. Plan [b] – Do the right thing (Also see Share the Wealth above)
- Give back (work in progress – see B1, 4 & 5 above)
- Be published for “doing the right thing” COMPLETED (currently….3 times, found a wallet in the reefs in Bermuda which I sent back to the owner, helped out Bermuda local Johnny Barnes , bringing Bermuda’s largest Cancer Fundraiser to Bermuda – Relay For Life….and another Relay For Life article…..can’t wait to list the next item here: ___________ ) Oh…and Bucket List item B2 (above) – Actually…see Plan B News
E. Places to see with my own eyes
- Once a year go someplace you’ve never been before:
- 2018 | Counting the days to Bali.
- 2017 | Apr 2017: Oahu, Hawaii (w Family), Jan 2017: Berlin, Germany (WOW)
- 2016 | Jan 2016: Sevilla, Spain (I will return with Becky)
- 2015 | Oct/Nov 2015: Charleston, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia…Fried Chicken, Grits and Sweet Tea…or Fire Fly with Lemon aid!
- 2014 | Oct 2014: Vermont | Jan 13, 2014: London, England
- 2013 | Turks & Caicos and later in the year Barcelona, Spain; Monte Carlo & Eze, France; Monaco; Portofino, Santa Margherita, Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii, Italy
- 2018 | Counting the days to Bali.
- Visit Australia COMPLETED (Dec 1996 – Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast)
- Visit Australia with Becky (& boys)
- Visit Italy COMPLETED (Jan 2015: Florence, Jan 2014: Rome, 2013: Portofino, Santa Margherita, Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii, 2004 or 2005: Rome, Florence & Venice)
- Visit France COMPLETED (Aug 2013: Monte Carlo)
- Visit London, U.K. COMPLETED (Jan 13, 2014: DONE – and 2015, 2016, 2017 and soon Jan 2018)
- Visit London, U.K. with Becky (& boys) BOOKED for 26 January 2018)
- Visit Bali – Ubud! – (BOOKED for 2018):
- Visit Costa Rica
- Visit Spain COMPLETED (Jan 2016: Sevilla, Aug-Sept 2013: Amazing in Barcelona – will come back with Becky.)
- Left blank intentionally
- Visit Greece (added 19 Oct 17; Navagio Beach, Zakynthos, Greece)
- Take my boys to (Barcelona Football Stadium COMPLETED – Camp Nou was in Aug 2013) and Old Trafford (Manchester Football Field)
- See the Northern lights
- Watch sea turtles hatch and make their way into the ocean. (not sure where, maybe Heron Island, Australia?)
- Visit South America (Argentina and/or Brazil…or both)
- Visit Necker Island
- Visit New York City with Becky and the Boys COMPLETED – (Visited August 2014.)
- Visit Copenhagen, Denmark…as referenced in the World Happiness Report 2013
- Attend the Holi Festival – Holi also known as the festival of colours or the festival of Sharing love. It is an ancient Hindu religious festival which has become popular with non-Hindus in many parts of South Asia, as well as people of other communities outside Asia.
- Visit Minnesota to visit good friends and to have our first hotdish… WOW…a hotdish made the bucket list! Ya betcha. Really, just to see friends…you know who you are 😉 )
- Visit Rockport, Massachusetts
- Visit the Florida Keys, including Islamorada & Key West – Visited Dave & Maria Bootle, 2 weeks before they were hit by Hurricane Irma.
- Visit Hawaii with the Family (Becky and I already did a little scuba in Maui + a few cheeseburger’s in paradise – but in April 2017, was able to spend time in Oahu, Disney’s Aulani Resort with the entire Family for Bryan & Tommy’s Wedding – Met some AMAZING people that will be in our lives forever!)
- Visit and hike the Haiku Stairs aka Stairway to Heaven in Hawaii (Unfortunately, there was some crazy security so we climbed the Koko Crater Trail)
- Visit Germany (Visited Jan 2017) & drive the Autobahn (Did not drive the Aurobaun, but drove 180 kmh in a turbo VW)
- Visit Sweden with my son Ryan
- Visit Belgium (have a nice cold
To be continued……
“Every experience counts…”
Last updated on 29 October 2017, because Annabelle asked that I post it! 🙂 – SpencerIsland Headquarters, Bermuda