A friend turns 41
Earlier in the year I met a fantastic family from Los Olivos, California. The Saarloos Family. They are great friends of some our best friends. (We met at The House in Los Olivos, but really got to know each other in Oahu…but that’s a story for another time.) So….back in June, one of the new friends, Keith, celebrated his 41st Birthday.
For his 41st birthday, Keith posted a list of 41 things he had learned in his 41 years. The list is fantastic so I had to share. You see, Keith is what I would call a wordsmith. You can’t but stop and ready his stories and/or social media post. I am impacted every time I do. He is one of the most likable people you will ever meet. The Spencer Family are absolutely grateful to have meet them and to considered NEW friends/family.
If your travels every take you to Los Olivos, please stop by the Saarloos & Sons Winery “The House”…and say hello Keith, or his family if they are floating around. And try every wine they have, as they are amazing! They will sell you as much as you can carry. – Oh, don’t forget to grab a cupcake if they have any!
[On a separate topic, meeting this family was on my Bucket List since they made such an impact on our best friends…so it was only time that we would all meet.]
Here are Keith’s 41 things:
- Don’t die.
- Wounds become Scars, Scars become Medals
- Love everyone. Love is Love.
- Don’t be mean, what is the point. If you are mean you are wrong.
- Love and respect people that defend their opinion. We need these people in the world.
- Be the Dad you wish you had. Even if you had a good dad. Be a better one.
- Acquaintances – as many as you can. – Friends Few and Tight – Do anything for them. – Family is the only thing that matters.
- Live to the Point of Tears.
- Connect your friends and make them friends.
- Be a 85%’er But when you go, Go 100% on 100% of the things you do.
- Say Yes to as many things as you can.
- Teach your kids to: Be able to talk to everyone, From 1 to 100 years old, Work well in a Team, Be Creative, Problem Solve, Be Humble, you are responsible for your own actions.
- Become addicted to that warm glow in your chest when you do something that helps someone else.
- Win Together, Lose Together.
- Movies are awesome, so are books, so is music, let yourself go where the people making it take you.
- Take long Baths in the morning.
- Miles over the Road can untangle knots your mind can not.
- Live like You’re Dead. You soon will be.
- Be a pirate, the navy is full of rules.
- Let Passion devour you.
- Talk and Listen to God. – God is Real. I have seen God so much in my life to deny there is one would make me a liar. God wants to be in your life. Just ask. – Then Hold on.
- We are not meant to be a one planet species.
- Work, Vote, and Live the way thats best for your Grandkids.
- Never let your bully in your chest that hates you ever get out and effect those you love.
- When in a fight, hit first and hit hard.
- Don’t be a man of success, be a man of value.
- Be really good at fixing problems, fast, and for good.
- Sweat, Tears, or the Sea fixes everything.
- Have a hour with your kids every day, just you and them.
- Tell your friends that they “CAN DO IT” because inside they think they can’t, and they need you to show them that you love and believe in them.
- Never let anyone mistake your Kindness for Weakness.
- No one is looking at you, no one cares, You aren’t that important to other people. Get Over Yourself. Everyone feels alone. Everyone. Know this and adjust yourself.
- There is no “fraud police” You are because you are doing it.
- A job you hate destroys who you are.
- Everyone wants you to do well, but not better than them.
- Love it when your friends Win. Help them Win. Make them Win.
- The mountains of the worst things you are going through are speed bumps as distance and time pass.
- Eat shit and take the high road. But when it is time to Stop, and die on a hill be ready and go all the way.
- Take a lot of photos – one day you are going to want to look back and smile.
- Marry someone that makes you better, someone that won’t take your shit, someone that sees through you and into the best part of you that you wish you were. You will hurt this person, you will fight them, you will not see in yourself what they see in you, and you will resent them for it. You are wrong. Do not expect them to fix you. You need to look at them as a reminder of who you can be, and then crush yourself every chance you get to be weak with them. Then Do the Same for them, remind them why they are perfect, special, and show them how they are the greatest human you have ever known. Become closer over your failures and sow each other together. Support them and Cheer for them and help them Succeed, they would do it for you.
- The only person you need to have permission from to be happy: is yourself. My wife and my friends taught me that on my 40th birthday
Thanks Keith for allowing me to share! Hope to see you on December 15, 2017. Love ya….